A curated list of dotfiles resources. Inspired by the awesome list thing.
- Getting started with dotfiles (L. Kappert)
- Getting started with dotfiles (D. Vints)
- Managing your dotfiles
- Dotfiles Are Meant to Be Forked
- Dotfile discovery
- Setting up a new (OS X) development machine: Part 3 - Dotfiles and custom SSH config
- Setting Up a Mac Dev Machine From Zero to Hero With Dotfiles - Part 2
- Using Git and GitHub to manage your dotfiles
- conf.d like directories for zsh/bash dotfiles
- Managing your dotfiles
Using specific tools
- Using GNU Stow to manage your dotfiles
- Managing dotfiles with GNU Stow
- Managing Dotfile Symlinks with GNU Stow
- Managing dot-files with vcsh and myrepos
- Manage dotfiles using vcsh and mr
- Dotfiles and dev tools provisioned by Ansible
- Manage a development machine with Ansible
Find dotfiles repos
There are many great dotfiles repos out there, each containing their own inspiration and gems. I think one of the best ways to go through them is by searching GitHub for "dotfiles".
- Google for "dotfiles"
- Archlinux collection
- Tip: search for a filename on GitHub, e.g. in:path .gitconfig.
Example dotfiles repos
A collection of the most popular, well-maintained, and collaborative dotfiles repositories & frameworks. Some projects contain just the dotfiles. Others go further by allowing you to easily add your own custom dotfiles, and/or including scripts to manage dotfiles/plugins.
|Bash it||Community bash framework.||Autocompletion, themes, aliases, custom functions. Well-structured framework.|
|Mathias’s dotfiles||Sensible hacker defaults for macOS||Lots of goodness here, great collaborative community effort.|
|Maximum Awesome||Config files for vim and tmux||Vim, tmux. Built for Mac OS X.|
|dev-setup||Mac OS X development environment setup||Extensive setup of developer tools on OS X.|
|webpro's dotfiles||macOS dotfiles||Bash, Homebrew, Brew Cask, Git, Node.js, Hammerspoon.|
|thoughtbot dotfiles||Set of vim, zsh, git, and tmux configuration files||Zsh, vim, tmux, git, homebrew. Uses rcm.|
|oh-my-zsh||Community-driven framework for managing your zsh configuration.||Includes 200+ optional plugins (rails, git, OSX, hub, capistrano, brew, ant, php, python, etc), over 140 themes to spice up your morning, and an auto-update tool.|
|Prezto||The configuration framework for Zsh.||Enriches the command line interface environment with sane defaults, aliases, functions, auto completion, and prompt themes.|
|YADR||The best vim, git, zsh plugins and the cleanest vimrc you've ever seen||Homebrew, zsh, git, vim, and more. Active repository.|
|holman does dotfiles||holman does dotfiles||Organized well around topics. Author wants it to work for everyone.|
|antigen||Plugin manager for zsh, inspired by oh-my-zsh and vundle.||Antigen is a small set of functions that help you easily manage your shell (zsh) plugins. Antigen is to zsh, what Vundle is to vim.|
|Dries's dotfiles||Simplified approach to dotfiles for macOS||Zsh, Oh My Zsh, macOS, Homebrew, Mackup|
|oh-my-fish||Community Fish framework.||Includes many plugins and themes, with installation, auto-update, and scaffolding tools.|
|Paul's dotfiles||Abundant dotfiles with a plethora of cool custom functions||Fish, macOS, Homebrew, Custom Shell functions|
|rkalis's dotfiles||Well-maintained dotfiles featuring Fish, repository management and Hammerspoon||Fish, macOS, Homebrew, Repository management, Hammerspoon|
- Ansible - Radically simple configuration-management, application deployment, task-execution, and multinode orchestration engine.
- Bork - Bash DSL for config management.
- dotbot - Tool that bootstraps your dotfiles.
- dotfiles - Tool to make managing your dotfile symlinks in $HOME easy.
- Ellipsis - A package manager for dotfiles.
- fresh - Keep your dotfiles fresh. Fresh is a tool to source shell configuration (aliases, functions, etc) from others into your own configuration files.
- GNU Stow - Symlink farm manager which takes distinct packages of software and/or data located in separate directories on the filesystem, and makes them appear to be installed in the same place.
- homeshick - Git dotfile synchronizer written in Bash.
- homesick - Your home directory is your castle. Don't leave your dotfiles behind (article).
- mackup - Keep your application settings in sync (OS X/Linux).
- rcm - rc file (dotfile) management
- SaltStack - Intelligent orchestration for the software-defined data center (article).
- vcsh - Version Control System for $HOME, multiple Git repositories in $HOME.
- yadm - Tool for managing a collection of files across multiple computers, using a shared Git repository and some additional features.
- Cider - Hassle-free bootstrapping with Homebrew.
- dockutil - Command line tool for managing dock items
- mas - Mac App Store command line interface
- A lesson in shortcuts - How the idea of "hidden" or "dot" files was born, by Rob Pike.
- dotfiles.github.io - Your unofficial guide to dotfiles on GitHub.
- OS X Defaults - Centralized place for the awesome work started by @mathiasbynens on .osx.
- Awesome Shell - Curated list of awesome command-line frameworks, toolkits, guides and gizmos.
- Awesome Zsh Plugins - List of Zsh plugins suitable for use with oh-my-zsh, antigen & Prezto.
- Awesome Dev Env - Curated list of awesome tools, resources and workflow tips making an awesome development environment.
To the extent possible under law, Lars Kappert has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.